This orange chicken is so good. I mean, if I can make it with a toddler screaming at my feet, you totally got this. It was a big hit with all the kids (even the toddler) as well as Mr. Kirk. So it’s sure to please in your house too!
Here’s what you need…
- 1 pound thinly sliced chicken breast, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup of flour (any kind you prefer)
- 1 cup of milk (I used SO delicious coconut milk here)
- 1 – 1 1/2 cup orange marmalade (depending on how much orange flavor you want)
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce (we use this kind)
- Oil of your choice for browning (I used olive oil)
A couple of notes before you start… I try to avoid corn syrup, so if you do too – be sure to check your labels. Also, the milk/flour is totally optional here. You could do this chicken without the breading, simply skip that step and follow all other instructions!
Here’s what you do…
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium to low heat.
- Toss cut up chicken in flour, then milk, then flour again (they should be well coated)
- Add chicken to pan, brown each side for 1-2 minutes.
- Once browned, move to a 13×9 baking dish or a cookie sheet with sides.
- Arrange chicken in a single layer.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the BBQ sauce and marmalade. You can add more marmalade for a stronger orange flavor.
- Pour mixture on top of chicken, and toss lightly to coat.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until chicken is cooked through, and the center is 165 degrees. These are small pieces so they will cook quickly.
One of my pet peeves is when a recipe doesn’t come with serving suggestions. So, I wanted to share that I served this chicken over jasmine rice, with steamed broccoli and a lemon wedge. All the kids and adults loved it.