This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser.All opinions are mine alone. #DairyFree4All #CollectiveBias
Before we know it the air is going to cool down, and the kids are going to be settled back into their school day routine. School is still a few weeks away, yes, and as much as I LOVE autumn, I don’t want to wish summer away just yet. One of my favorite things about this summer with all the kids home has been watching my ten-year old learn to cook and create more and more. He definitely takes after his mama in the kitchen! I remember standing on a chair in my grandma’s kitchen helping her cook and bake every single weekend – so I hope the memories we’ve been making this summer stick with him through adulthood too.
One of my most favorite summertime desserts as a kid was my grandma’s ‘strawberry fluff’. It’s a frozen dessert that was light, fluffy and perfect for hot days by the pool. Unfortunately baby Vinnie is still unable to tolerate dairy – so I had to make some revisions to her original recipe to make it family friendly. (You can see more of our dairy-free recipes here!) We are pretty much dairy free in our house, because if Vinnie spots something you’ve got – he wants it – and he wants it now! That boy loves food 😉 Luckily, So Delicious Dairy Free® makes lots of dairy free options for us to choose from, and we were so happy to partner with them for this family-favorite recipe makeover!
Believe it or not, Wal-Mart actually carries a ton of So Delicious Dairy Free® products, so that’s where I headed to get our supplies!
Here’s what you need for this recipe:
- 1 pint frozen So Delicious Dairy Free® Almond Milk Vanilla
- 2 egg whites
- 10 oz. frozen unsweetened strawberries
- 1/2 cup butter or butter substitute (I used an organic vegan butter substitute here, you can use butter or whatever you would normally replace butter with)
- 1 cup gluten free flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
I have a few extras pictured because I was tweaking the recipe as I went – and I was unsure about how much I’d need.. you only need one pint! I think I am going to try this recipe with the So Delicious Dairy Free® coco whip and simply strawberry flavor next time, the coco-whip is a favorite of mine and like all of their other products, it contains no high-fructose corn syrup (which I love) so stay tuned for an update!
Here’s what you do:
- Remove your So Delicious Dairy Free® vanilla from the freezer to soften.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Melt butter, and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, sugar and butter until well blended. Spread thinly on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until it begins to get crispy.
- While the crumbs are baking, add egg whites to a stand mixer and beat on medium speed for 4-6 minutes until fluffy. Slowly add your softened So Delicious Dairy Free® vanilla by mixing it in.
- Place thawed strawberries into a blender or food processor to finely chop, once chopped, fold them into them to your mixture.
- Transfer baked crumbs to a 13×9 metal baking pan and spread evenly.
- Pour strawberry mixture on top of breadcrumbs and freeze for a minimum of 3 hours before serving.
Optional: while you wait, enjoy another frozen treat! I’m pretty sure the Cashew Milk is my favorite of all time.
We love the So Delicious Dairy Free® brand because they are always 100 percent plant-based and contain no artificial colors, flavors or preservatives. They’re also Non-GMO Project Verified so using their products is a no brainer when it comes to our dairy-free needs!
Once your dessert pan has been in the freezer for 3 hours, you can remove it and let it sit at room temperature for 5 minutes before slicing – this will make it much easier to serve! I like to cut ours into squares and serve with a fork or spoon, simple and delicious.
And of course 100% toddler approved…
Don’t worry, the big ones loved it too 😉
Click here to learn more about So Delicious Dairy Free® #DairyFree4All!
Carolyn WestAugust 9, 2016 at 5:54 pm
Those are amazing. Dairy has not been very friendly to me lately and I love strawberry so these are perfect for me and I’m sure the kids would eat them up. #client