In case you missed it, it’s all about birthday fun this week! My oldest turned TEN and we had a weekend long celebration, finished off with a fun little family party. (See our birthday cake breakfast here!) I made some treats for everyone to enjoy, and these crispy rice cupcakes were a hit! If you’re looking for something cute and sweet to make for a celebration that isn’t cake, you’ve come to the right place because these are super simple!
Here’s what you need…
- 6 cups Crispy rice cereal
- 1 bag of mini marshmallows
- 2 TBS Butter (or coconut oil, I used coconut oil!)
- Chocolate melts
- Sprinkles of your choice (I used these and these)
- Parchment paper
- Cookie cutter (I have this birthday set!)
Here’s what you do…
- Melt butter or coconut oil over medium heat in a large sauce pan.
- Remove from heat and add cereal, mix until fully combined.
- Pour mixture into a 13×9 pan lined with parchment paper. I was OUT of parchment paper, so I used plastic wrap, and greased it with coconut oil, you can totally improvise!
- Spread into even layer using a greased spatula.
- Set aside and let firm up for 5-10 minutes, while you’re waiting prepare your toppings.
- Melt chocolate according to package directions.
- Lift parchment paper from pan to remove entire layer of crispy rice.
- Use your cookie cutter to cut as many cupcakes as possible! We got 8 total, but you can probably get at least 10 if you put them closer together.
- Arrange cupcakes in a single layer on parchment paper, use spoon to top with melted chocolate and immediately add sprinkles.
- Place in the fridge for 3-5 minutes until chocolate is fully hardened.
- Optional: Make cherries! Use remaining crispy rice scraps to roll into a balls, coat in red sugar and attach to cupcakes with melted chocolate.
Enjoy! See below for photo and video instructions…