When life gives you lemons, make lemon chicken.
I’m the only one in the house that likes lemon chicken, but that didn’t stop me from making it for dinner tonight. Some days when I’m feeling overwhelmed by all things motherhood, I throw my dinner plans out the window and make something I want. I was actually pleasantly surprised tonight when all three kids and Mr. Kirk gobbled it right up! The best two things about this recipe is that it’s easy and cheap!
We’re mostly gluten free in our house now, but I had some egg noodles to use up, so I made them alongside this dinner with some fresh steamed broccoli. It was a hit all around, so I thought I’d share!
Here’s what you need…
- About one pound of thin sliced chicken breast, or whole breasts pounded thin.
- Flour (I used this gluten free flour)
- Olive oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 lemons
- Parsley (I used dried, but fresh would be even better!)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Here’s what you do
- Preheat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, you want enough to cover the bottom of the pan.
- While the pan is preheating, sprinkle your chicken with salt and pepper and dredge in flour.
- Add coated chicken and cook 2-3 minutes per side until fully cooked and lightly browned.
- Continue with all pieces, letting cooked pieces drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Once all chicken pieces are cooked, add broth to skillet, scraping up any pieces on the bottom.
- Add juice of 2 lemons to the pan, salt and pepper to taste, and cook over low heat until sauce begins to thicken.
- Add chicken back to the pan and toss to coat.
- Remove from heat, and sprinkle with parsley.
- Serve with your favorite sides! We had egg noodles and fresh steamed broccoli… yum!
Have you tried my easy orange chicken? It’s SO GOOD! Get that recipe here. And I even have a quick tutorial for how to make your own chicken broth (here) don’t forget to follow me on Instagram and Pinterest for the latest recipe updates.
How’s this meal cheap? Let me break it down for you…
Chicken was on sale (BOGO free) this week, so this pack was free – or we can say $3.50 if I split the price I paid for two in half. Broccoli is .99 cents a pound, lemons are 2 for $1, egg noodles are $1.99, chicken broth is homemade or a large container is about $2 and the rest are items on hand. TOTAL = $9.48 for a family of 5 = $1.89 per person, BAM!